Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single quiet pack vs. Dual quiet pack or ???
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
reservoirdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Single quiet pack vs. Dual quiet pack or ??? Reply with quote

I'm building a type 1 engine for my late bay and have an exhaust question.

The engine is a 2275 with DRD L5 heads, 40X35.5 valves, compression around 8.2-8.4:1, 40idfs. I want to run a 1 1/2 inch heaterbox/header exhaust, and I'm wondering if I'll notice any difference between using a single quiet pack vs. dual quiet pack exhaust. I haven't found many exhausts out there in the 1 1/2 inch size. I'm leaning towards Tri-Mil as a supplier right now (1009D). Has anyone run this exhaust on their late bay?

Thoughts? Recommendations?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Trimil 1009D appears to be a 1 3/8" system that is designed to work with stock heater boxes.

I haven't found too many systems that work with the high flow 1 1/2" Dansk flanged heater boxes. I am currently running the Bugpack Streetmax 1 5/8" system with the 1 1/2" flanged heater boxes. The only muffler that works with that system is the obnoxious looking Mondo muffler.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've tried various dual QPs and none of them will fit the Streetmax system. Sad

The other exhaust options I've found that can pair with the 1 1/2" flanged heater boxes are the A-1 Sidewinder and the Vintage Speed heater box system.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/A-1-Sidewinder-HT-Rac...wht158.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Sport-Muffler-155-203-05200-p/155-203-05200.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Vintage-Speed-SS-Super-Flow-Muffler-155-203-052SF-p/155-203-052sf.htm

Gene Berg also makes some high-flow heater box systems, as I know they make their own high flow heater boxes. However, I don't know if they are compatible with the Dansk boxes I have.

Last edited by sactojesse on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse, there is a muffler shop on auburn near madison, that will make what you want. There used to be a good one on Fulton near tognotti's that would do anything as well. Go in on a day they arent busy, have them put it on the lift and tell them what you want. They will make it and it will be less than any off the shelf unit. they don't like to do vw headers from scratch, but if you bring it in they will do everything else

This kind of goes for everyone. find a local muffler shop, they have all the bends and mufflers you could imagine, and will make it work. Don't short change yourself by trying to buy off the shelf.
reservoirdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its interesting. On the Tri-Mil site, it's listed at 1 1/2. On the SoCalImports page, it's listed at 1 3/8.

Which is it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, what cam are you running?

I would suggest at least a 1 1/2" Bugpack exhaust with the big Mundo muffler for that size engine.

If you choose dual exhaust you must run hanger mounts at each end to support the weight or they will crack and break off with normal driving and road vibrations.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Jesse, there is a muffler shop on auburn near madison, that will make what you want. There used to be a good one on Fulton near tognotti's that would do anything as well. Go in on a day they arent busy, have them put it on the lift and tell them what you want. They will make it and it will be less than any off the shelf unit. they don't like to do vw headers from scratch, but if you bring it in they will do everything else

This kind of goes for everyone. find a local muffler shop, they have all the bends and mufflers you could imagine, and will make it work. Don't short change yourself by trying to buy off the shelf.

Yeah, I may end up doing that if I decide I simply can't take the looks and sound of the Mondo. Yes, it's ugly and loud. Laughing
reservoirdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to be running a DRD 280 (280 duration 444 lift). More than likely 1.25 rockers.
nobuggybob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny @ KYMCO has the 1-1/2" system that are flanged at the heater box. Bolted right up to my 1-1/2" heater boxes from Cip.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reservoirdubs wrote:
Its interesting. On the Tri-Mil site, it's listed at 1 1/2. On the SoCalImports page, it's listed at 1 3/8.

Which is it?

I must have been looking at the SoCalImports page. Even if it is 1 1/2", it looks like it is intended to be used with the stock un-flanged heater boxes and the collector is not a true merged collector. I think you'd get better flow with the Bugpack Streetmax or A-1 Sidewinder, both of which use merged collectors.
Hophead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kymco 1 1/2" heaterbox system had some bad flange alignment issues with the heaterboxes.

I called and asked them to have a chat with whomever supplies them with their heater boxes as they do all the flange welding inside the tube reducing it down more like 1 1/8". I ended up grinding down the inside and doing the weld external like it was on the header which was flawless.

I hated to have to blow through the nice E coat on the outside to weld but for my hipo build paying for an 1 1/2" system and having half of it pinched down was going to cause the motor to run hot. And unfortuneatly there are not alot of options out there.
P&P 043 40x35.5
9.6-1 comp
FK-8
48 IDA
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the "How to Hot Rod VW's" book (yes it's old)they dynoed various mufflers with a header system. The single quiet pack performed just a good as a dual quiet pack.

Also, remember that exhaust headers are measured Outside Diameter (OD).

1-1/2" header really has 1-3/8" opening...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bugpack 2558 Dual Quietpack for the 2008/2008-11 Merged Headers will fit the Streetmax System on a Type 1, but I'm not sure for a Type 2. Just about everyones heaterbox system uses a 1 1/2 heaterbox, then a 1 5/8 back halfed header, which I think is kind of strange. Berg, or Kymco have the full 1 1/2 systems, but I'm not sure what muffler system will work with them.
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
The Bugpack 2558 Dual Quietpack for the 2008/2008-11 Merged Headers will fit the Streetmax System on a Type 1, but I'm not sure for a Type 2.

Are you sure about that? I know their catalog says it fits, but I have tried the Bugpack 2558-13 (ceramic coated 2558) and it didn't fit my Streetmax system. Sad
reservoirdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The merged headers don't work with heaterboxes, do they? I thought the headers were different from each other, merged and regular.

Who makes the Kymco header?

Has anyone experience with the superflow Vintage speed stuff?
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
In the "How to Hot Rod VW's" book (yes it's old)they dynoed various mufflers with a header system. The single quiet pack performed just a good as a dual quiet pack.

Also, remember that exhaust headers are measured Outside Diameter (OD).

1-1/2" header really has 1-3/8" opening...

That book pre-dated quiet pack mufflers; it was published in 1970 and the QP mufflers didn't come along until the mid '70s, circa '74 if memory serves me correct.

In more recent times, the value of dual QPs goes up with more extreme engine performance modifications. A bone stock engine or mild build, for example, benefits from a single QP more than a dual muffler set up, due to the lower air velocity of exhaust gases. An engine with better flowing heads will benefit more from dual mufflers.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reservoirdubs wrote:
The merged headers don't work with heaterboxes, do they? I thought the headers were different from each other, merged and regular.

"Merged" has to do with the shape of the collector, irrespective of whether the system was designed to accommodate heater boxes. There are merged systems that work with high-flow heaterboxes like the 1 1/2" Dansk units, such as the Bugpack Streetmax (and similar systems sold by CB Performance and Kymco) and the A-1 Sidewinder. Here's a photo of a merged collector I found in the gallery.

nobuggybob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL's makes makes Kymco's headers
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sactojesse wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
The Bugpack 2558 Dual Quietpack for the 2008/2008-11 Merged Headers will fit the Streetmax System on a Type 1, but I'm not sure for a Type 2.

Are you sure about that? I know their catalog says it fits, but I have tried the Bugpack 2558-13 (ceramic coated 2558) and it didn't fit my Streetmax system. Sad

It's getting dark in the pic, but the 2558 is what I have on my Super with the Streetmax Heaterbox System.

sactojesse wrote:
reservoirdubs wrote:

"Merged" has to do with the shape of the collector, irrespective of whether the system was designed to accommodate heater boxes. There are merged systems that work with high-flow heaterboxes like the 1 1/2" Dansk units, such as the Bugpack Streetmax (and similar systems sold by CB Performance and Kymco) and the A-1 Sidewinder. Here's a photo of a merged collector I found in the gallery.
If what you're asking is if a 2008 header can be modified to work with the heaterboxes, no. The merged systems have the 1/3 cylinder pipes route under the cylinders, while the systems like the Streetmax Header route the 1/3 pipes out wider under the heads.
reservoirdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Kymco have a website?
nobuggybob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so? Here is there 1-1/2 merged with heater box flange set up
[/img]

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: